Friday, October 21, 2011

Pumpkin Sugar Cookies

It's fall and who doesn't love all things pumpkin? I know I do. I have the pumpkin Scentsy going and we have pumpkins all over the place waiting to be either carved or cooked. I love fall. I just love the colors on the trees, and leaves on the ground that give a stratifying crunch when stepped on, and the smell of warm spiced things coming from the oven. I also look forward to our churches Halloween alternative event. It's so much fun for kids and parents. They have bounce houses, magic show, balloon animals, and candy. The kids get to dress up and some of the parents do too. I think dressing up, carving pumpkins and getting free candy is fun. As long as we keep away form the scary side of Halloween and just focus on the fun parts of it, I feel that it's ok. Last year I carved Bob and Larry, from Veggie Tales on our pumpkin and made these pumpkin cookies. This year we might just paint the outside of our pumpkin so we can cook it later. As far as these cookies go, you can put the chocolate chips on like I did as jack-o-lanterns or you can mix them into the dough like chocolate chip cookies.



I used the sugar cookie recipe from Land O Lakes web site.
http://www.landolakes.com/recipe/632/fun-time-butter-cookies-gluten-free-recipe

Pumpkin Sugar Cookies 
3/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter, soft ( I used Earth Balance Vegan dairy free butter)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 -1 can of pumpkin
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin spice
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups GF flour blend
Enjoy life chocolate chips
cinnamon sugar

Preheat oven to 400.
Flour blend as stated in the recipe. Gluten-Free Flour Blend: To make flour blend, combine 2 cups rice flour, 2/3 cup potato starch, 1/3 cup tapioca flour and 1 teaspoon xanthan gum. Use appropriate amount for recipe; store remainder in container with tight-fitting lid. Stir before using.

Blend sugar, butter and pumpkin till smooth. Add dry ingredients and beat on medium speed till well mixed. Shaped dough into 1 inch balls ( I used a small ice cream scoop). On a grease baking sheet, flatten balls with the bottom of a glass cup dipped in cinnamon sugar mixture. Place chocolate chips on the cookie in the shape of a jack o lantern. Bake for 8 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...