Sunday, April 1, 2012

Eggplant Vegetable Involtini and Cauliflower Mash


I love spring and summer vegetables. I just love the colors and the flavors and the really inexpensive pricing at my health store. This recipe came from one I saw on Pinterest, here is the original , but I made up my own version because the original has dairy in it and I couldn't think of a dairy free option. So I thought why not make up my own. I took the idea of a spring roll, with all the lovely vegetables inside and thought why not do that as my "stuffing". It turned out great! Everyone loved it. I made some mashed cauliflower to go on the side and my daughter could not get enough of that so I'll include that recipe too.

Eggplant Vegetable Involtini
 1 medium eggplant sliced into 1/4 inch long sections
1 zucchini thinly sliced
1/2 bunch of asparagus with the ends chopped off
1 pepper ( any color you like I did orange) thinly sliced
3 cups marinara sauce ( recipe I used here, I did have meat in mine, but I skipped the mushrooms)
Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. 
In a lasagna dish place eggplant in the dish and over with oil, be generous eggplant is thirsty. Chop other vegetables while the eggplant soaks. Turn the eggplant over and add more oil if you need too. Saute all the vegetables in a little bit of oil over medium heat. Saute the eggplant too, you can grill them if you like. Salt and pepper all the vegetables to taste.  Once soften remove all the vegetables from the heat. 


In your lasagna dish, use any left over oil to grease your pan. Take two cups of sauce and put it in the bottom of the dish. Take one eggplant and lay it on the sauce. Take two to three pieces of each different kind of vegetable and lay it on the bigger end of the eggplant and roll, and place it in the dish seem side down, repeat with the remainder of the eggplant and vegetables. Once all the eggplant is stuffed, take one cup of sauce and pour over all the eggplant rolls. Bake in the oven for 30 minuets or until bubbly. Makes 4 servings. 

Cauliflower Mash
1 head of cauliflower cut into florets
1/4 mayo
2 Tbs Earth Balance Vegan Spread
2 Tbs hemp milk
salt and pepper

Steam cauliflower until tender. Drain the water out of the pot and mash with a potato masher. Add salt, pepper, spread, and mayo. Mash until smooth, add hemp milk it it needs some more moisture. Put mixture into a blender and puree until smooth in texture. You can leave a few lumps if you like. Makes 4 servings.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...