Friday, March 16, 2012

St. Patrick's Day Feast with Corned London Broil

I love St. Patrick's Day. It's one of my favorite holidays. I like to remember my heritage and listen to Gaelic music. This year for our St. Patties Day feast I made my standard colcannon, corned beef, and Irish soda bread. To see what I made lasts year and to get the recipe for the colcannon click here. The newest addition to my menu is the Irish soda bread. I use the recipe from Gluten Free Girl and The Chef, we ate ours with Earth Balance spread and honey.  This year I did something different for the corned beef.

I was shocked at the prices of corned beef so I thought I would make my own, but the price for brisket was worse. So I thought that maybe I could corn a different cut of beef. So I got a London Broil, it's a cheap cut of meat that can be used in many ways so I thought way not give it a try. I bought a London Broil that a good amount of fat and I used the recipe from this site, click here. I adjusted the recipe to fit the size of my London Broil. It took 5 day for the beef for brine and become corned beef. I cooked it in the crock pot and it worked great. It sure tasted and smelled like corned beef. It worked! It wasn't as tender as brisket, maybe if I cooked it for longer then 3 hours it might have started to fall apart, but nonetheless it turned out well and even the picky toddler ate it. It's good to know that we can have corned beef for St. Patrick's Day with a cheaper cut of beef. It wasn't a hard process at all, the beef sat in the fridge and did all the work for about a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...