Monday, August 15, 2011

Gluten Free Rice Krispies Treats with Sunbutter and Review

Rice Krispies is one of those cereals that has been around for a long time. Everyone knows of them and either grew up on them or a cheaper version of this puffed riced cereal. So when Kellogg announced that it was going to make the popular cereal Gluten Free I was excited. I have been wanting to share with my daughter a cereal that I to grew up on and I want to make treats for her too. I wanted those fond memorizes with my daughter that they so strategically put into their commercials.

It took awhile for the cereal to hit the store shelves in my part of the world, but once I saw that light yellow box with blue on the shelf I ran to it in excitement. However, when I saw the price tag, my excitement burst. They want almost $5 for this box of crisped rice. I can get two boxes of Envirokidz's Koala Crisp's for the same price. Also, you can Fruity Pebbles Gluten Free version of their cereal for $3 for the family size big box and Target often has them for two for $5 deal too. None the less a  box did get purchased and into our family pantry (mainly for you all).  

The cereal it self tastes about the same, but I do agree with another review that I saw saying that the cereal does get soggy faster. My daughter seems to like it so-so. I was happy to see that they are made out of brown rice and not just white rice. So I made some treats with it and that turned out really well. I added some Sunbutter to them to make them a bit more healthy and for a nice nutty flavor. I think adding the Sunbutter was a hit with the whole family. I will always make them this way from now on.

Sunbutter Rice Krispie Treats
Rice Krispie treat recipe as stated on box or web site
3 Tbs sunbutter



Grease a 13 x 9 x 2 pan and set aside. Add butter and sunbutter to sauce pan to melt. Then add the marshmallows. Take off heat and add cereal, stir till well combined. Pour into the pan and press down either with hands or spatula ( I found that my hands worked the best). Make sure that cereal mixture is evenly spread. Cut into squares once cooled. 


On a side note: I used cheap marshmallows and they didn't seem to melt well. So if you can swing it I suggest getting the good marshmallows. Next time I might try marshmallow fluff, because this whole melting thing just didn't go all that great for me. I want easy when I make a treat for my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...