Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Chebe Bread Mix Review

 We all know that going GF is expensive. So when I first went GF I stumbled upon these mixes that were tucked away on the end of the gluten free aisle. These mixes cost about $2-3 and are very simple to make. They don't make alot so they are perfect for small families or that one lone GF person in a family or single people. Although they are cheap enough you could by a few for the price of one big box of a different brand. They come in many variates, from focaccia bread, to cinnamon buns, to pizza crust and more.  When I was doing my weekly shopping I found Chebe mixes on my local big grocery store (not just my local health foods shop). This time around they were in boxes instead of bags. I have to say I really like the new packaging.

So to see if they have changed more then the packaging I bought a box of their bread mix. I've used their other mixes but not this one, so I gave it a try.  As you can see they clearly show you what is NOT in their mixes. I especially love that they are yeast free. The instructions are very easy and simple. I do have to had more water or oil then they suggest because of the altitude that I live at, but only a Tbs more or so. I do love their suggestions on the box to create or add things to their basic recipe. I did add some cheese to mine, because my daughter is a cheese nut. They came out really well and my daughter loved the bread, even the next day she liked it with some jelly and Sunbutter.





Chebe Burgers are really simple to make. I just followed the instructions on the box to make the dough, like I said I did add cheese to mine as one of their suggestions on the box. I did add some more water, but not much at all. However, I did find that it would have been easier to kneed the dough and form them into the right shape if I had wet hands. If I had wet my hands I might not have added the extra water, that would have made them too wet. Once baked I just let them cool for a few minutes before using a long knife to cut them in half. They are prefect to use a buns, and they cost way less then any pre-made GF bun you will ever find in the stores. I wish I had made and brought some of these to the worship department cook out I went to earlier this month. Oh well, live and learn. I hope you find some and enjoy. Make sure you check out their web site for lots of recipe ideas.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...