Friday, February 17, 2012

Chocolate Breakfast Cookies (gf/df/nf/ef)

I am loving the new site Pinterest. Have you all found it yet? I just love it for everything. I am finding so many great craft ideas, kid activities, clothing ideas, things for a future house someday, and recipes. It is great to see so many gluten free recipes come my way on Pinterest. My recipe boards is getting kinda big with all the things I've been pinning. You can follow me on Pinterest too. However, I ran into a Pinterest set back. I pinned a cookie that was tagged as breakfast cookies. I thought I could easily substitute some ingredient to make them work for gluten and diary free, but when I clicked on the pin to follow the link it turned out that the person just uploaded a picture of something they made without saying how. So I started a search on Google for breakfast cookies. I knew what I wanted, something with chocolate, and I didn't want something that looked like a granola ball. I wanted a healthy cookie that I could give my daughter for breakfast or for myself to eat as I rushed out the door in the morning. So I came up with my own. You can enjoy these anytime of  the day though.

This recipe is very simple, but very healthy. I use oats (make sure they are GF), which are healthy as we all know. If you are uncomfortable with oats you can use quinoa flakes instead, but you might need to use more since the flakes are much smaller then the oats in volume. I use flax seeds, as well, which are very good source o-mega 3's, Lignans which are natural estrogen and antioxidants, and fiber. I also used Sunbutter because it's a good source of protein. I added cocoa for flavor and it's also good for us too and goes great with Sunbutter too. 

Chocolate Breakfast Cookies
1 cup Oats (or quinoa flakes)
1/4 cup flax seeds, pre-ground amount
1 cup Sunbutter
2 Tbs Coco powder
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
In a large bowl mix together oats, ground up flax seeds, coco, sugar, and baking soda. Add Sunbutter, vanilla, water, and mix until well combined. On a lightly greased baking sheet put tablespoon amounts on the baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. I used a cookie scoop. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Makes about 18-20 cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...