Monday, November 21, 2011

Tofu Pumpkin "Cheese" Cake with Ginger Snap Cust

From Stock.xchng
 I love making things that have a surprise ingredient in them that make them super healthy. One of the ingredients that I like to use the most of this is tofu. It is very healthy and it takes on what ever flavors you put it with. So it makes for a great secret ingredient. I think tofu makes for a great alternative to cream cheese and I am always trying to make it into some sort of cheese cakes. This recipe is one that I have perfected and everyone loves. I made this three times last Thanksgiving season. I brought it to scrap-booking night and all of the ladies said they were trying to watch their waistline when they saw my pie. I told them this is practically health food and to go ahead and enjoy. After a few of them gave in and took a few bites they were amazed how great it tasted and wanted to know what made it so healthy. I told them it was made with tofu. Before I know it they all had a slice and some of them had two. The host asked for the recipe and made it for her own Thanksgiving dinner. She said it was the best pumpkin pie she has ever had. My daughter loves it when I make this pie, she loves to lick the beaters.

One important note, I have a deep dish pie pan. If you don't have a deep dish pie pan just double the crust recipe and make two pies.


Tofu Pumpkin "Cheese" cake with Ginger Snap Cust 

Pre heat oven to 350 degrees

Crust
1 1/2 -2 cups ground gluten free ginger snaps ( I used MI-DEL but you could make your own)
1 Tbs butter or shorting slightly melted

Ground ginger snaps in a food processor or in a freezer bag and beat with a rolling pin. Mix with butter and pat into a 9 inch pie dish that has been greased. Use a measuring cup to pat the crumbs into place. Bake for 7 mins. Let cool before adding filling.

Tofu Pumpkin Filling
14oz silken tofu
1 small can pureed pumpkin
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp pumpkin seasoning
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp xanthan gum

Drain tofu if it comes in water. With whisk whip tofu until almost smooth (as smooth as you can get). Add sugar and whisk some more till well combined. Add pumpkin and seasoning, except xanthan gum, and mix will. Add xanthan gum and mix for about 30 sec. Pour onto your crust and smooth the top. Bake for 60-70 mins. Center will still jiggle after it comes out, but will set as it cools. The edges should be golden and start to bubble. Let it set for at least an hour before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...