Monday, June 27, 2011

Socially GF with Kids

From:Stock.xchng


Being gluten free with kids always makes life extra challenging. When it was just me it wasn't too bad, I just had to worry about myself, but add a GF kid into the mix and suddenly everything becomes more complicated. There are birthday parties, play dates, family gatherings, and Sunday school snacks that can all become a logistic nightmare. Here are some of my tips to help get by these social situation challenges.

Birthday Parties
  • For birthday parties I always keep a bunch of chocolate cupcakes in the freezer. I like to use Namaste Chocolate Cake Mix and one can of pumpkin puree and make cupcakes. These take about 10-15 minutes longer to bake. Once cooled I put them in gallon size freezer bags and freeze them. When it's time to go to a party I pull one out and take it with us. By the time it's cake cutting time at the party the cupcake is thawed. If you want to you can go an extra step and decorate the cupcake to match the birthday cake.
  • I also find out what kind of food will be served at the party. If it is a pizza party I'll bring a couple slices of my homemade pizza. If it is just snacks then I'll bring some of our own GF snacks, and I always bring enough to share, because sometimes kids like what I bring and want to give it a try.
Play Dates
  • I always bring lots of snacks, because I never know what my daughter will be in the mood for. I always have crackers, a jelly and sunbutter sandwich, fruit, rice cakes, and yogurt covered raisins. Just like the birthday party situation I bring enough to share.  Kids eat with their eyes first and often they like what I bring. We go through a lot of fruit and yogurt raisins that way, but I'm always happen to share. You never know, you might inspire another parent to bring along these healthy snack options other then chips and cookies for next time. 
Sunday School 
  • This can be the hardest challenge depending on your church, but for me it wasn't too hard. You can read more of that story here. I made up a list of snacks for our church to buy to give the GF kids more options, for awhile all they did was Chex, which is cheap and find, but kinda boring. This is the list I suggested:
    • Kinnikinnick animal cookies
    • Fruity Pebbles just went gluten free and Rice Krispies, and their snack bars
    • Rice cakes
    • Envirokids Gorilla Munch 
    • Annie's makes gluten free cheddar bunnies
Diaper bag/back pack/purse
  • For snacks on the go I always keep the following in my daughter's back pack: crackers, yogurt raisins, all natural fruit leathers, cereal bars or snack bars (such as Enjoy Life), animal cookies, roasted edamame or soy nuts, and some times apple slices or a banana.
 Restaurants
  • Eating out is always hard, but it is extra hard with kids. Not every restaurant has GF options on their kids menu. I now choose where we eat when going out by looking up the kids menu online. If they have something that works, then that is where we go.  
  • Here is where we go and what we order for our daughter.
    • Red Robin: grilled chicken on a stick, or a burger with cheese without the bun and no seasoning. I always make sure that the fries for the whole table are GF (without seasoning) and that fries that come with our meal are without seasoning too because my daughter likes to hop from lap to lap, this way if she eats from everyone's basket she is safe. 
    • Chick Fil A: Grilled nuggets. I love this restaurant! As soon as I say grilled nuggets they automatically offer to change their gloves. Plus, I love their toys with the kids meal: books and learning toys. 
    • Mexican places (Chili's and On the Boarder): quesadilla on corn tortillas or grilled chicken.
    • PF Chang's: noodles and brown rice
    • Village Inn and Perkins: yogurt, fruit, scrambled eggs, and hash browns.
Family Gatherings
  • The best way to make this work is to send out emails to everyone (if it is a pot luck type meal) and list all the things that are ok. If you give brand names and places to purchase that makes things easier for everyone. It's better to do a list of what is ok then a list of what isn't ok. 
  • If only one person is making the meal offer to help, if they don't want help find out what is on the menu and bring something similar. I love making GF items for gatherings because someone will say "This is the best _____ I've ever had, what is in this?" Then I have the joy of telling them what is NOT in it and they are always shocked then ask for the recipe. 
I hope this gives you and your family some relief this summer as you go out to BBQ's, picnics,weddings, birthday parties, and play dates.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...