Sunday, May 1, 2011

Zucchini Pancakes

When I was kid zucchini pancakes were one of my favorite dishes that my mom made. I think I even ask to have them for my special birthday dinner once. When I first went gluten free, this was one of the first recipes I tinkered with. Now the recipe is very simple, but the main issue I had in making it work was the moisture from the zucchinis. I never remember my mom having issues with this recipe, but I sure had a lot of issues getting everything to work. Finally I realized my problem was very simple; too much water. Zucchinis have a lot of water in them and by adding freshly grated zucchinis to my gluten free pancake mix was only setting myself up for failure. So I started draining my zucchinis and it worked. Letting them sit on the counter in a strainer for a few hours did the trick. If you don't have a few hours, ringing them out in a kitchen towel works great too. I use my Kitchen Aid's vegetable/meat grater attachment to shred my zucchinis, and it does a beautiful job.

I am so happy that I have this recipe figured out, because my daughter is a pancake nut. She loves her pancakes. When she isn't going through a growth spurt she becomes a super picky eater. Luckily for me she loves fruit, but too much of anything isn't a good thing. So I try to sneak in vegetables as much as I can into whatever I can. Good thing she loves these pancakes, they are a life saver with my picky eater.


Zucchini Pancakes
Double recipe pancake mix (I use Pamela's pancake mix)
2 zucchinis shredded and drained

Depending on what kind of pancake mix you use, your results may come out different from mine. 

Mix together the pancake mix, but leave out the water or milk till the very end. Add the shredded zucchinis and mix together. Slowly add in the water as you mix the batter. Depending on the moisture from your zucchinis, may need to change the amount of water you use, even after letting your zucchinis drain. Once the batter reaches the consistency of a regular pancake mix, you can go ahead a make your pancakes on a griddle over medium heat. Makes 4-5 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...