Friday, March 4, 2011

Sunbutter Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream


Who says you can't enjoy ice cream again after going dairy free? And who says dairy free ice cream should cost you an arm and a leg? Not me, that is for sure. I love ice cream, always have and always will. I grew up having a bowl almost every night. My husband thought I was crazy in love with ice cream when we first got married because I always insisted that we have some in the house. So no surprise, to him when I first went dairy free, that I went out and bought an ice cream maker. 

As you will learn over time, I love my Kitchen Aid. I think it is one of the best tools anyone can have in their kitchen and if you love to cook and save money, get one! I have three attachments for my Kitchen Aid that I love, they all work well, and they have saved me a lot of counter and cabinet space and money. So when getting an ice cream maker I of course got the Kitchen Aid attachment one. It works great and has paid for its self in the year that I've owned one. I can make 2 quarts of dairy free ice cream for a dollar or two less then a pint of dairy free ice cream at the store. Plus, I get to create my own flavors, just what ever ice cream-aholic needs.

The recipe I use for my ice cream is based off one by Ashley Skabar from About.com Dairy Free Cooking. Her recipe:
2 cups unsweetened soy milk
1 tsp xanthun gum
2/3 cup honey

Here is my updated version from her recipe, which makes more:
1 quart dairy free milk (I used hemp but soy and rice works too.)
1 1/2 tsp xanthun gum
3/4 cup of honey or brown rice syrup
dash of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract


Sunbutter Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream
1 quart dairy free milk (I used hemp but soy and rice works too.)
1 1/2 tsp xanthun gum
3/4 cup of honey or brown rice syrup
dash of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup Sunbutter (I used store bought)
1 tsp coco powder
2 ounces of semisweet chocolate broken into small chunks with a knife or 1 bag of mini Enjoy Life chocolate chips

Have ice cream maker ready for making ice cream, I have to freeze my bowl first. In a blender mix together milk, honey, salt, vanilla, and coco powder. In a small sauce pan or in a microwave safe bowl soften the sunbutter. Add the sunbutter and the xanthun gum to the blender and mix for 1 minute of till thickened. Pour mixture into ice cream maker, and mix as directed by the manufacture. Once done, stir in the chocolate chips or chunks. Enjoy right away or freeze. Makes 2 quarts. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi there,
    I discovered your beautiful blog while looking for SunButter recipes. As a blogger for SunButter, I so appreciate your creation and wonder what variety you used. As a fellow mom and Kitchen Aid lover (getting ready to crank it up for dinner prep!), I so appreciate your perspective. Looking forward to following your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elizabeth,

    I use the original Sunbutter, but I like the chunky too. I am looking forward to trying the new no stir sunbutter.

    Thanks for finding my blog and following along.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...