Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Pray for Japan


I know many have shared their concern for the people in Japan after the massive earthquake and the tsunami, and it was great to see so many gluten free bloggers pause in their blogging to pray for Japan; however, it is sad to see how quickly we here continue on with our lives thinking that brief pause was enough.

Things continue to grow worse in Japan with the failure of the nuclear power plants and many aftershocks and it makes me sick when I read through my facebook and local news how quickly many people have turned away their attention. Why is that? I have to wonder. When Haiti was in their massive earthquake over a year ago the new hung on it for a long time and so many people were willing to text the Red Cross to offer aid, but not so with Japan. Why? I understand that Japan is a far better off country economically then Haiti when they had their earthquake, that is very understandable. I know Haiti isn't designed for earthquakes like Japan is, but still shouldn't the human race reach out to those in need no matter where it happens or what the disaster is?  People have died, and maybe more to come that is no reason to turn away from anyone no matter who they are or where they live. It's one thing to say "It is so sad," and then do nothing verse doing something. Now I'm not asking anyone to do anything but pray. Prayer is free and it is powerful. A simple prayer can heal, change lives, and open closed doors. If you can give money to aid those in Japan, that is great, but prayer is something we should all do.

You maybe wondering why I care so much about Japan. I care so much because my sister's husband's family all lives in Japan. Now they may not be direct relation to me, but when I got the chance to travel to Japan with my sister and her family, they took me in and treated me as though I was family. My brother in law's mother helped me with my Japanese homework (yes I studied Japanese), his father exchanged currency for me so I would get a better rate, his uncle paid for dinner at a nice restaurant, and his aunt was very sweet and gave me a few yen. I wasn't just a guess in their home, but family. That trip to Japan is one I'll never forget. For me it was the first time on a plane, first time I left the country, and the first time I experienced two earthquakes.

The earthquakes I felt were nothing compared to what they felt last Friday, but they are the same magnitude as the aftershocks. It kinda gives one a baseline to compare what they are feeling right now. Being from a land locked state me and my sister never experienced earthquakes before, let alone two. For us it was scary, even though everyone else was fine, but now I'm sure everyone is more freaked out then me and sister ever where when we felt our first quake.

To watch what is on TV and to read the reports online only makes me thank God that family in Japan is safe, but scared for their lives as I continue to see all that is happening with the power plant. Things don't seem to be getting better over there and our prayer and support is still greatly needed. Why is it that we, and by "we," I mean Americans - seem so ready to turn our attention some place else instead of where it is needed the most? When disaster strikes we seem so concerned for the first few days, but soon we get tired of hear and seeing about it on the news. Yet things don't get better that quickly. Things in Haiti still have not improved since their quake and the South is still recovering after Katrina and that was several years ago. Life does go on, but things do not heal as quickly as our mind likes to move on.  So continue to pray for Japan, but let us not forget those who are still in need in Haiti, and other countries who do not have nearly as much as we do.

As the Bible says "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you," if you do not want people to forget about you if you are found in a crisis, then don't forget about those who currently are. It takes many years for life to start over again from a crisis and only God knows what is next for the people of Japan. But let's not be selfish and put our woes over others. Do you have dirty dishes? Dirty clothes? A house that might be trashed by small children? Money to buy food for more then one day? Then you my friend are richer then most of the world. Thank God for what you have, and bless those who are less fortunate then you.

If you wonder why bad things happen in relation to God this sermon can help answer those questions.
How can a good god allow suffering?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...