Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Hodgson Mill Pizza Mix Review


Now that I live in a different part of the state products availability is a little bit different. The other night we tried the new Hodgson Mill's Pizza Crust Mix. You can read what I said about their cookie mix here. I also have a box of their brownie mix too, so look for a review on that soon too. So far I've like what I've tried, they do seem less perfectly allergy free then other brands, but if your main allergies are gluten, dairy, and nuts this mix will fit the bill, plus it cost less then other brands.

I wasn't too thrilled that this mix does have yeast in it, and I'm suppose to stay a way from yeast. I can't always get a way from it because yeast in in all commercial gluten free breads and some other baked goods like pizza crust. Besides the yeast issue, the texture of this mix is awesome. I've tried many pizza crust recipes, but none have come close to the traditional gluten-full version of crust dough. This mix nailed! It was so much fun making this with my daughter because it was like "real" dough. There was the waiting for the yeast to activated, the dough to rise (thankfully only one rise period instead of two), and the texture was a lot like real dough. You do have to cover your hands with lots of cornstarch to keep the dough from sticking, but it felt great to pat the dough out on to the pan instead of spreading it out like icing. My daughter didn't want to stop patting the dough.

So if you are looks for a traditional pizza crust recipe I would recommend Hodgson Mill's to you.


I decided to have a little fun with our pizza and I made taco pizza. I just used chili powder and cumin to season our tomato sauce then shredded chicken and cheddar cheese for the toppings. I cooked the pizza as directed on the box. I then put chopped tomato and lettuce on top of the pizza. It was good and big hit with the family. You could use re-fried beans instead of tomato sauce, but I'm more allergic to pinto beans then tomato, so the lesser of the two evils for us.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...