Monday, January 16, 2012

New Year New Thoughts

I know it's a bit late to start writing about New Year's, but this is about the time people start quitting their new year resolutions, so I thought now would be a better time to bring up the subject.

I really don't have any New Year resolutions, but I always try to do some little things, like work out more, take time out for myself (important as a mom), be kinder to others, etc. How about you all? What have you vowed to do this year?

Currently, my church is doing a fast, I fast Facebook, because my diet is already pretty limited. So I've been taking this time to reflect on my Christian life: did I do what God wanted me to do, how have I been on reading my Bible, what lessons have I learned, and how will I grow in the year to come?

Some things that I have learned is to trust God with all things. He has given us the strength to do ALL things through Him (Phil 4:13), but I need to trust Him with ALL things, not somethings, but all things. If He can give me strength to do ALL, then I can trust him with ALL. I've learned that worrying will not get you any closer to God, to his promises, and to feeling more secure in life. 1 John 4:18 says that perfect love casts out fear. God is perfect love. He loves me perfectly, even when I'm screwing up; I, in return, need to love him back and when I do that the fear just melts away. I've also learned that the things that my hear desires will be given to me, but it won't be my way and in my timing, but when I let it go and let God, his ways and timing are perfect Isiah 55:8.

The things I want to do better with this year is to take the lessons I just stated and put them into practice. Head and heart knowledge won't do me any good if I don't practice them. I also have to fulfill my commitments that I made to God. He fulfill his, but I need to carry out my end. That means if I laid something down at his feet that might be in the way of his plan for my life, that I need to keep it at his feet. He might give it back to me, but I have to be willing to let it go at any time. I also need to better about being Jesus, not just to the world, but also at home. That means that I need to show my family the same love Jesus has for me to them. How often are we nicer to strangers then we are to our own families?

I guess my theme for this year is no excuses. With technology I have no excuse to get my Bible reading in for the day. There are apps and programs that can remind me to get my reading in. I can  pick out devotionals that are prefect for me, and I can have them all synced to my phone and my Kindle and my computer. I can read when and where ever. I can watch and listen to sermons any where and play worship music at any time I need to stop worrying and worship Him.

I hope you all have a great New Year, and keep up the resolutions!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...