Friday, February 25, 2011

Mexican Lasagna

It's been one of those crazy weeks where the kid's eating and sleeping schedule is off and I'm worn out. The weatherman has been prediction snow for the weekend and it finally came. I needed some warm comfort food that was easy to make and that I knew would be a hit. I love making big meals that could feed 5 or 6, because they make great leftovers for the week. Stuff the hubby can take to work or I can heat and eat while the kiddo eats her lunch. Doing these big meals I think saves money. I love doing crock pot meals too. I use our crock pot 2 or more times a week, I hope to have some meals featuring the crock pot on here soon.  I am determined to make a cream based soup without cream, just you wait and see, I'll do it! Doing these big ticket meals are great too when this mama is worn out. My 2 year old is being a 2 year old this week and I just got word from the doctor that my thyroid might be off. Not the best new, it's behaved for 2 years now and starting to act up again. I've had so many blood test in my short life that my veins are going to give out before I'm 35. Oh, well such is the price of living "normal." But now I know why I'm am so worn out, so hopefully that will be fixed soon, in the mean time I'm going to rock out to my worship music. "All for Love" by Planet Shakers does the trick every time.

Back to the big ticket meals, this week's big meal was my Mexican Lasagna. I love this one, it is great for a weeknight meal, even busy weeknights. It just needs heated through in the oven, since everything is cooked before hand. I made two of them at the same time this week, one for us and the other one for one of my mom friends who just had a baby. It freezes well.

I developed this recipe when I didn't have any lasagna noodles and really wanted lasagna. Then I saw the tortilla's in the fridge and the light bulb came on. Why not use them and switch up the flavors to making is a Mexican dish, instead of Italian? So I did and it is has been a staple in our family ever since. This recipe can be made to fit your own tastes. You can skip the beef and make it vegetarian with beans and other vegetables or you can use turkey instead of beef.


Mexican Lasagna 
1 lb ground beef 
1 tsp cumin 
1 Tsp chili powder
1 clove of minced garlic
1 tsp salt
2 dashes of red pepper flakes (or to taste)
1/2 white onion chopped
1 can of black beans washed and drained
3-4 cups of cheddar cheese or you favorite cheese
Juice from 1/2 a lemon or lime (cut the other half into wedges)



Tomato Sauce
29 oz can tomato sauce
1 tsp salt
1 dash red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
#1 Bottom lay
1 clove garlic minced


Preheat the oven to 350. 
Ground the beef in a skillet over medium high heat. Add cumin, chili powder, salt, garlic, and red pepper flakes. If you have room in the skillet or in another skillet or large sauce pan (4 quart), add onion and cook till soft. Add black beans and lemon juice and heat them through.


At the same time make the sauce in a 2 quart sauce pan. Add the tomato sauce and seasonings and stir occasionally over medium low heat.


#2 Bean and beef layer
To assemble, spray a 9x12 baking dish or lasagna pan with non-stick cooking spray. Add a ladle of the sauce on the bottom and place the tortillas on top (see the first picture). Add the beef and bean mixture to the the tortillas (see the second picture), and sprinkle cheese on top of that. Then add another layer of tortillas (I like to alternate the sides of the lasagna that gets the torn up tortillas. See picture three to see what I mean. I find this makes the lasagna more sturdy), sauce, beans and beef, cheese. Then top if off with tortillas, sauce and cheese. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or till hot and bubbling on the edges. Serves 4-5. Add a wedge of lemon or lime on the side to add a unique flavor.

#3 Alternate layering

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...